Thursday, September 3, 2009

Democratic Delusion:


As a kid I always read about our constitution in my civic text books. Democracy was something sacred and most superior according to my perceptions. In my surrender to democracy, I always prioritized fundamental duties over my fundamental rights and continued assuming self as the perfect citizen. I used to always put in my conscious efforts towards understanding democracy which led to my observation of some specific terms cited in those text books, viz. social, secular, sovereign, republic and so on.
Today when I have installed my self as a receiver in this world where continuously flowing information magnifies my frequencies of thought, I some how find that this democracy which decides my identity is actually not performing up to the mark. The political scene and status of common man in India, today hardly celebrates this democracy. It disturbs me when a political party with forty per cent of votes is trusted with the national governance. The fact that sixty per cent of populace have voted against that party doesn't count at all. People in power have been flexing the democratic spine of India the way they want.
There is some problem.Either with the system or with the people who are responsible for its functioning. And when it comes to democracy, we are the ones responsible for its proper or improper functioning. I won’t mind quoting a dialogue from a hindi movie. Rang de basanti conveyed this simple message- no country is perfect. It's the people of that country who make it perfect. It's high time we have been doing what we wanted to. It's high time we have been speaking responsibly. It's high time we have been demanding change! Now is when we are suppose to do what we need to, now is when we are suppose to start acting responsibly, now is when we start working for the change we demand.

No comments:

Post a Comment